Failing to come up with valid counter arguments, some important players in the camp opposed to the independence of Québec have adopted the good old strategy of misrepresenting their adversaries' arguments and intentions to better win against them. The arguments of the right to self-determination and cultural rights of peoples being particularily hard to refute, they have chosen to work around them and refute other arguments instead. How hard is it to refute arguments that you have crafted yourself?
* PQ Leaders René Lévesque, Jacques Parizeau, Lucien Bouchard, Bernard Landry
* 19th century Conservative Catholic nationalist Lionel Groulx
* Free thinker and social democrat Yves Michaud who dared publicly state that Groulx was not antisemitic
* Quebec's national symbols, its flag, its national holiday
* Quebec's institutions, its representative democracy, its language policy, its immigration policy, its economic policy
* Quebec's worker movement, its pro-independence unions, its spirit of solidarity
* [[Wikipedia:Red herring|Red herring]]